Monday, October 1, 2007

Now I Know - What?

He's dead. He died unexpectedly on June 21 of 2004 of a heart attack. He was 62 years old and had been married for 12 years. He has grandchildren and great-grandchildren. He lived less than 90 miles from here. According to the obituary, he enjoyed small engine repair and flea markets. FLEA MARKETS? He sounds like a nice old guy, not even old really.

What if I'm wrong? What if nothing ever happened and my imagination has run away with me? Maybe I had a bad dream and seized it and manufactured the rest. No wonder, then, that I don't remember stuff. I haven't made them up yet. Maybe he really was like everyone said he was: a big kid. He loved to have fun and wrestle and play hide and seek and no-tag-backs. Maybe we really did just go to restaurants to celebrate him getting back from a trip and maybe he gave me presents because he could.

What if I'm wrong? Maybe it was just a nightmare. Nothing more than a dream...

What if I am wrong?

"If we shadows have offended,
"Think but this, and all is mended,
"That you have but slumber'd here
"While these visions did appear.
"And this weak and idle theme,
"No more yielding but a dream,"