Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Am Not a God!

I simply do not understand why I seem to be the only person in my life that can keep up with the schedules we have. It's not like I do that much or get that much done. Mostly it's a matter of having the car in the right place at the right time. And yet my family is incapable of filling in for me, even occasionally. From what I've heard, when I was in the hospital last December it took 3 people to keep track of our schedule including one working full time, one working part time and one not employed at all.

Last week I tried to get Hubby to do the first round of school drop-offs. He couldn't get it done, several things got skipped and he was very frustrated by it all. Same with Baby-Mommy. I needed her to do the second round of drop-offs one day so I could go to physical therapy. By the time I got back, she was fuming mad at my kids and declared our mornings impossible. And that was just one half of just mornings. That didn't include any of the rest of the day.

WTF?!

I am not a god here, people. The schedule isn't that unbearable. I can't seem to make myself do the rest of the stuff that needs done, but even the small amount I do get to is apparently too much to ask of anyone. So I'm wondering if they are wimps or if I am a poor judge of what if complicated.

Mornings go like this:

6:00 - Alarm, wake up Hubby
6:20 - second alarm, wake up and poke and prod Hubby
6:30 - alarm, begin growling and snarling at Hubby so he actually gets up
6:50 - get up and dressed
- Kid-2's BFF arrives
6:55 - wake up Kid-1,
- check to make sure Kid-2 is up
- see if Kid-3 or Kid-4 want to get up yet
7:00 - say rude things to Kid-1, threaten to refuse to take him to school if he doesn't get up and stomp out of room frustrated
7:10 - yell up the stairs for Kid-1 to get up, remind to do bathroom basics
- remind Kid-2 to eat and do bathroom basics
- ingest large quantities of caffeine
7:15 - remind Kid-1 to take medicine
- see if Kid-2 has homework and if anything needs signed
7:20 - 10 minute warning, growl about anything not done
7:30 - check backpacks, coats, cell phones, lunch money, instruments, etc
- head to car
7:35 - take Kid-1 and Kid-2 to school.
- check after school activity schedule in car, remind of any appointments or weird schedule stuff
7:50 - wake up Kid-3 and/or Kid-4 if not up
8:00 - fuss about clothes that are clean AND match AND are okay for the weather
8:05 - check homework is done, signed and in backpacks, put backpacks by door
8:10 - fuss about breakfast and bathroom basics (20 minute warning)
8:15 - 15 minute warning, check for matching socks and appropriate shoes
8:20 - 10 minute warning, wake up Kid-2's BFF (asleep on couch)
8:25 - 5 minute warning, check coats, bookbags, homework, lunch money, papers
8:30 - head towards car (break up fights over who is sitting where)
8:50 - morning is done!

See? It isn't that tough and it all lines up neatly. At this point, if I am lucky, Baby will go back to sleep before Baby-Mommy leaves to go work out or study or therapy or whatever she is doing that morning. If she does go back to sleep, so can I.

Now, I will admit that afternoons get sticky. On any given day there are school pick-ups at 2:45, 3:15, 3:25, 3:30, 3:45 or 4:00. Every day at 4:00, snack time and play time are over. Homework must be done. Chores must be done. And afternoon medicines must be dispensed. Evening activities change each day:

Monday: Kid-1 volunteers at the library from 3 - 5
Kid-2 choir leave house at 4:25 for 4:45 drop-off. Pick up again at 6:30, returning home about 7.

Tuesday: Kid-3 has choir with Kid-2's BFF. (Leave house at 4:30) Pick up at 6, returning home about 6:45
Kid-1 has Boy Scouts from 7 - 8:30

Wednesdays: Kid-2 has gymnastics, leave house at 7:30 return home about 9.

Thursdays: Kid-3 and Kid-4 both have gymnastics at 5:15 immediately followed by Cub Scouts at 6:30. Leave house at 5, return about 8.

Fridays: extra late pick up for Kid-2 from school at 4:30/5.

So, yeah, evenings get a little complicated, trying to figure out when to get who and who to leave the others with and when to make and eat dinner. But it falls into a routine and it isn't that big of a deal. With all the rushing here and there, I don't get much housework done. I am just too tired, and my day is too fragmented and I am seriously low on motivation. So Baby-Mommy keeps telling me to make them quit activities and Hubby says he can't possibly do a schedule like that.

What they don't seem to understand is that the running isn't an issue for me. It makes me feel good to have them happily involved in activities and knowing that I can help with that. Everyone says they are so willing to help but all they are willing to help with is the driving. That's the one part I do like. If someone really wants to help, they should do some laundry or watch Baby while I go grocery shopping, or help orchestrate Family Cleaning Day. But that's not what they want to do and I am not willing to give up the parts I enjoy to replace them with things I despise.

Bottom Line: I don't care what they say, my husband is leaving me in a week and a half and I am about to become a single parent. And all I want to do is sleep...

No comments: