Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Universe Devoid of Meaning? Surely Not...

I was reading an article by Myra Partridgeover at The Psychiatric Times about "Helping Patients Overcome the Fear of Death". I thought it might be a useful POV for hospice volunteering. But this quote (by Irvin D. Yalom, MD) in the article stopped me in my tracks:

“We are meaning-seeking creatures who are unfortunate enough to have been hurled into a universe that is devoid of meaning,” he said. “And so we have to invent a meaning that’s sturdy enough to support our lives. And maybe then need to perform this acrobatic feat, that we need to pretend that this idea wasn’t invented, it was discovered; this meaning that’s been out there all the time.”


Seriously? The more I think about this, the more I can see what he may be trying to say. Humans look for patterns and connections between what they do and what happens to them. We look for them even when they aren't there - that is the root of superstitions and mythologies. And really, what is religion but a currently believed mythology? So maybe he was simply referring to why people turn to religion in the first place.

(For an AWESOME video on how superstitions are formed check this out: Derren Brown's Trick or Treat)

But saying that we live in a universe that is devoid of meaning is like saying there is no such thing as cause and effect because some things people believed to be connected turned out not be related at all.

I believe life DOES have meaning and purpose. But I believe it is up to each of us to find that purpose and meaning for ourselves. Some may seek it through religion or art or being good at their job. Others may look for it within themselves or out somewhere in the universe or in understanding history. But we all have the potential and the ability to find meaning in life and identify our purpose in it.

2 comments:

Aqua said...

Hi SV,
Yalom is talking about EXACTLY what you believe...He is an existential psychotherapist; one who understands that each individual must find therir own meaning and purpose in life. The Universe is only devoid of meaning if we allow it.

I love Yalom. He writes some great fiction books and his textbook, Existential Psychotherapy is full of incredible theorys and ideas.

My iggest problem is that I recognize there is no overall purpose to the Universe...I see that. I see it is my responsibility to discover and uncover a purposeful life and that responsibility scares the hell out of me.

Polar Bear said...

Ever read Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for meaning? Great book. check it out if you haven't.