Sunday, June 7, 2009

What Would You Say?

What would you say if I said that the guy I am living with has such a bad temper that he goes off into fits of rage, screaming obscenities and violently striking out at anyone who tries to come near him or talk to him or stop him? What would you say if I told you that the fit he had earlier this week resulted in a nasty bruise on my arm, deep into the muscle, and an ugly one on my shin?

What if this wasn't the first time? What if, in fact, it has been happening a lot recently? What if today it got so bad that I had to call the police on him and that I am covered in bruises up and down my arms, my legs, my stomach and my head? And that after the cops left, he started up again?

Would it make a difference if I told you he is really sweet when he isn't angry? Or that he apologizes profusely once he's calmed down? That he feels really bad every time I wince in pain when he hugs on a bruise?

How about if I told you that he doesn't mean to hurt me? That he has bipolar disorder and when he goes into a rage, he can't think clearly? That all the intelligence goes out of his eyes when he gets to that point and that he is truly incapable of rational thought? That he doesn't take his meds unless reminded and even then gets seriously pissy about it? That even when he takes them, his meds are off and he is working with his doctor to get them straight but so far he has gone into a violent rage 5 times in the past 6 days?

But here's the kicker...

Would it change things if I said that this guy I'm talking about is my 13 year old son?

No comments: