Monday, June 30, 2008

Mommy, What Did She Mean?

So Kid-2 and I are watching television and she's watching the show Summerland, a former WB show that, like most WB shows was geared towards the high school/young college-aged crowd. She was watching it because has Jesse McCartney is in it. Yes, maybe the show is a little over her head, but she's a bright kid and generally what she doesn't get she ignores or asks about.

Well, one of the characters has ended up pregnant unexpectedly and unintentionally. Okay, come on, this is the WB; I expected a miraculous miscarriage. Then she tells the boyfriend/father that she "called and [she] can come in tomorrow." And I couldn't help it. I closed my eyes and shook my head and buried myself in my computer. Unfortunately, Kid-2 is not just clever, she's observant, a bit protective of me, and looks to me for reactive clues on things she doesn't know about. So she caught my reaction and, not understanding it, asked. "Mommy, what did she mean: she can come in tomorrow at 11?"

Cue panic.

After I closed my mouth (several seconds later) I realized I had to tell her something. But what??? So I asked her if she knew what options a girl has when she gets pregnant. She said they can do nothing and let the baby grow and have the baby or they can "make the baby stop". And I said the character was talking about the second of those options. She said, "oh" and went back to watching like nothing had happened.

I totally blew a teachable moment there. We could have had this great discussion on values and teen pregnancy and all that stuff and I totally locked up. BUT... I didn't run away. I stayed here and I answered her question as best I could and I DIDN'T LEAVE. So....... I guess I did adequately though not as good as I could or should have.

2 comments:

michelle said...

I forget how old Kid-2 is but I am sure that if she is like any other kid in the world she would have asked if she wanted to know more, or if she knew more and was embarassed because she already knew, she would not have asked what she did in the first place. Is that confusing enough for you? I think you did fine....this coming from a 36 year old with no kids but still.....

Aqua said...

You are a great Mom. These moments will stick in your childs head. Every child needs to know about options, and pregnancy and all the sex stuff from a very young age as they are inundated with negative images in the media day in and day out. Great opportunity, and great job.
...aqua