Thursday, June 12, 2008

Here It Comes... (Part 2)

On the other hand....... if Hubby takes this job, there are a lot of really awesome things about it.

First and foremost is the pay. The wages are much higher with guaranteed raises every single year. We would be able to pay our bills!!

And we would have fewer bills because the health insurance is STELLAR. No deductible, low co-pays, everything is covered. It even has vision and dental! And it's a helluva lot cheaper for all that than for the cut-throat crap we have now that we will be losing next year.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

Then there's the retirement stuff. Not only does it have a 401K and that stuff, it has a pension. Hubby would be "fully vested" in it after only THREE YEARS. I have no idea what that means but I know it means he is then eligible for money once he retires. Not only will HE get a pension... so would *I* - a separate pension of my own (like 60-odd% of his) no matter what happens. Just three years and it's there. We would actually have retirement plans... whoa.

Money-wise this just can't be beat... but there are other things to consider.

Hubby would be gone for 6 weeks. Talk about a crash course in independence! I could grow so much in that time. I wouldn't be ABLE to hide behind him because he wouldn't be here. I would become my own master, doing things because I want/need them to get done rather than because he's going to be home in a couple hours. Six weeks of doing things how I think they should be done instead of how he says to do them. Six weeks of no pressure from him. Six weeks of no awful 80s movies. Six weeks of not worrying about making him mad or not doing things right. Six weeks of not being sent to a babysitter if everyone is going to be away. For six weeks, I would learn how to be an adult separate from him. I have been repeatedly told how wonderful this would be, how good it would be for me...

Did I mention the money? *wink*

Even after the 6 weeks, I would still have so much more (forced) independence. It would mostly be my show with Hubby there as often as he can be but gone 1/2 to 3/4 of the time (not counting sleeping time when he's at home). I wouldn't be able to slip back into my passive position even once he gets home.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

Maybe no Honda Homecoming. Sorry, this should be a negative but, well.... yeah.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

When he is home, it will be more special and he might be more fully here. We will have to reconnect as a couple in a way that we haven't really done in a long, long time. He might be more willing to spend quality time with the kids because he just won't have that much time.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

He will be able to come to more school things and daytime things. He may not be able to predict them, but when the time comes, he may actually be home. He could go to football games and chaperone field trips and help with school functions.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

This could be a toehold in to other areas of the railroad that he might like better. There are lots of jobs besides conductor and if he's already established he's got a much better chance.

Did I mention the money? *wink*

It's only three years until the pension thing. Just three years. We have had the talk numerous times about whether or not we could cope with one year of sheer hell in order to get everything our hearts desire. (Think Devil Wears Prada.) And we've said that we could. It would be worth it. True, this is three instead of one and not everything his heart desires but it would be really good for us financially. Is three years too much to ask for a secure retirement?

So.

The straight up money is excellent. The benefits can't be beat. Three years and we'd have retirement well on its way. I'd have the opportunity to become independent. The time we spend with Hubby might be better quality. Hubby could go to some school things. Hubby could get a better job through this. And, um... Did I mention the money? *wink*

2 comments:

Polar Bear said...

Wow. Great benefits and perks. Definately got a lot going!

Six weeks will be long. Six weeks will be tough. But it's going to be sooooo worth it.

I hope it works out.

Hugs
Polar B.

The Silent Voices in my Mind said...

Thanks for the support Polar! He took the job. Now it's just a matter of July or October...