Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Prompt: A Picture Worth a Thousand Words

PROMPT: Find a favorite picture. Write about how it makes you feel and what you like about it. Describe the picture.



I took this picture myself in a stretch of countryside about 2 miles from my home. The tree looks dead, doesn't it? It's just this stark dead husk in a barren landscape of dirt and frost. In places it has been broken down by life - see the branch towards the top that has been torn right off? There is an old fence around it, also battered down by life. At one time it may have protected the tree but now it is just a relic itself. The sky is a dull, sullen grey with nothing to break its endless existence. All in all, it's a pretty bleak picture.

But...

In the summer this tree explodes with green leaves. The field behind it grows tall, strong corn. Birds frequent the tree. The sky is that brilliant blue that only the sky can be and the air is crisp and clean and fragrant. This little spot becomes the picture of summer life and beauty. It thrives!

The whole reason I chose this picture is that I feel it could be a symbol of me. The tree in this picture was obviously once strong and beautiful or it wouldn't be the height and breadth that is it. Right now it seems barren, dead, abandoned and depressing. But a lot of that is the light in which it is portrayed. The harsh black and white view of things makes for a stunning picture but it is neither accurate nor reassuring. And finally, I cling to the belief that my summer will come again. My fields will grow nourishment for my life and that of others, I will grow and reach up and out in new life and new growth and attain new heights. And life will be full of color and joy again.

1 comment:

Aqua said...

SV,
This is a beautiful post. The picture is so symbolic and your post is one that speaks to this person's soul. Thanks.
...aqua