Saturday, January 12, 2008

And Not So Good Days

If some days are good for no apparent reason, others aren't so good for the same lack of reason. Today was a day that was just fine on the surface. But the undercurrents that ran through it weren't so fine at all.

I slept in this morning, as is my custom on Saturday mornings. But this morning I was woken not by Hubby or by finishing sleeping, but by the boys screaming at each other. Hubby had gone to the In-laws' house to take down the Merry Christmas sign.

I had been invited to go scrapbooking today but didn't really want to go. It takes so much energy to be around those people. They can be catty and backstabbing behind smiles and anecdotes. I've heard them talk about people who aren't there. I have too much fodder for their gossip. And I just didn't have the energy today to feed myself to the wolves. So I bailed. Actually, I just didn't go and then talked to my friend later this evening and apologized. Turns out it wasn't a problem as she didn't go either.

I did, however, keep my plans with Hubby's sister to go see the movie "PS - I Love You" and I am intensely glad I did. Before I tell you about the movie, let me just insert this brief word from our sponsor, The Big Guy. It takes 20 - 25 minutes to get to the theater. I had 20 minutes from when I left the house and I was bone dry on gas. I had to stop or I wouldn't make it at all. I was panicking. Being late is embarrassing and rude. And, I thought I was being clever and didn't bring a coat. I got out of the car to pump the gas and I decided, quite contrary to my habit, to only put a few gallons in. So I'm pumping gas and shivering and it occurs to me that I should just RELAX. So I did. I settled into the cold and pushed it away ever so slightly. I finished up quickly and was back on the road. I was freaking out for being so late and then it washed over me to just relax. I was on God's time now. Worrying about being late was not going to make me get there quicker. So I relaxed and paid attention to traffic without worrying. Here's the commercial part: despite my stop and heavy traffic and not being able to find a parking space... I made it there on time. God's Time was with me today...

But the movie: OMG! It was sooo awesome! I swear that Hilary Swank looks like she must have an eating disorder in it though. She was so thin as to pass beyond the realm of jealousy and into the realm of concern. And who would ever have thought that Harry Connick Jr. would play a DORK?! But Gerard Butler, despite dying almost first thing, turned out a wonderful performance and FOR ONCE Jeffery Dean Morgan LIVED. The whole movie was one massive sigh of romantic contentment. Everyone I was with, excepting Hubby's sister but including his mother and my other SIL, was crying like babies but I found the whole thing just perfect. I found myself sighing over dialog and having to remind myself not to clap in theater over plot points. My heart got broken and mended and swelled and deflated and generally wrung through the wringer in the best possible way. I have to confess that the Hero's Journey would NOT stay out of my head, but that's to be expected right now, trying to plot two different novels at once. At any rate, this movie was worth every hint of trouble it was worth to go to it. AND... I managed to keep my foot out of my mouth the whole time and not humiliate myself in front of the in-laws and their friends.

Seriously, anyone who has ever been in love should see this movie. "PS - I Love You" with Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler, Harry Connick Jr., Jeffery Dean Morgan, Kathy Bates, the guy who played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, and the dumb blonde from friends. This is the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. It is right up there with Pretty Woman and Ghost, blows past Sleepless in Seattle and The Lake House like they weren't made, and even made the MIL declare it "the best movie since Love Letters" which is saying something! Once more, altogether now: "PS -I LOVE YOU" This concludes my theater advertisement for the decade.

One would think, given how great that experience was, that I would label today a "good day" and I would have to agree to that logic. So why do I feel so crummy? Good movie, good football game, no major disasters... Ah, to heck with it. I'm going to bed!