Monday, September 17, 2007

Poetry? I don't write poetry...

You Never Saw Me, Did You?

You never saw me watching you from underneath long hair
You never saw me looking, didn't know I was even there
You never saw me crying after you'd left the room
You never saw me at all, at least that's what I assume.

I watched every time you turned away from me
I was everything you never wanted to see
I always knew I was the plague to you
I always felt I was the plague to me too.

You never saw me taking bottles of pills from off the shelf
You never saw me wanting so much to kill myself
You never saw me crying every single night
You never saw me, you never saw me, right?

I heard every word you said to me, every single word
I wished to run away from you or fly, like a bird
I felt it every time you hit my back, my legs, my face
I would have tried to hide but there is no safe place.

You never saw me burning or cutting with a knife
You never saw me hurting until I tried to take my life
You never saw me crying there in the hospital bed
You never saw me lying there, not dead.

I knew everything I did was the wrong thing in your eye
I would ruin moments, steal from you, lie
I always knew you hated me in the way you said my name
I wondered if you ever knew that I always felt the same.

You never saw me hiding the shame as I did as I was told
You never saw me falling apart since I was 4 years old
You never saw me losing hope and giving up (or wanting to)
You never saw me even at all, never, did you?