Sunday, October 11, 2009

Keep on Rocking!

Well, I've had exams in every one of my 4 classes now. The psychology course was almost a given and didn't disappoint: 25/25.

The sociology exam worried me as I hadn't studied but I got 96% and the prof added 4% points to everyone's test for the curve. So when all was said and done, I got 100% on it.

My big Ethics test (the one I spent most of the last week freaking out over) was due Friday night before midnight. I turned in my final copies Thursday night (technically Friday morning) about 3 am. Obviously, I haven't heard about that grade yet. Shockingly, I actually feel confident that I did alright. Each essay had to be "approximately" 2 pages double-spaced; 2 of them ended up just under two and half pages and the third one was exactly 2 pages. I didn't have any doubts about what the answers should be; the hardest part was keeping it short enough. If I don't get full points, it won't be from not knowing the answers; it will be because what I knew turned out to be wrong. I hope he has them ready Thursday. (Monday and Tuesday are Fall Break.)

Then there was the Critical Thinking test. I could write a post long enough to fill a book on that alone. It was far worse than I feared - I had to guess on HALF of it! I never had to guess that much on an exam. And I did study too! So he goes to hand back the exams on Wednesday and says that the scores were far lower than he expected - gee go figure!!!! Apparently there was only ONE A in both classes. The average score for our class was 15/30 and 16/30 for the other section. blush I was that A. I scored 28/30 before the VERY generous curve he ended up using. (He ended up adding 9 points to everyone's test to the maximum of 30 points.) We are still meeting with the department head to find something to do about the prof - he just CANNOT teach adequately!

I have to say... I have been surprised at how easily the academic part of this is going. I was just sure I would be studying non-stop trying to keep up, stressed out of my skull over trying to get decent grades. And I'm just not. I mean, I have to pay attention and I have to study before the tests, but not only can I do this, I am doing this! Based on what I have heard and read about others' experiences, I expected it to be so much more difficult.

Hubby, my friends, my family, even The Shrink keep saying they knew I could do it and that it's going so smoothly because I am so intelligent. I don't know that it's really that. I think it's just that this is important to me, really really important to me. So maybe it isn't that I am any smarter than the people I am comparing myself to; more likely it is just that I am more committed to doing well and won't accept "good enough" unless it is full success. But whatever the reason... it sure feels good!

No comments: