Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School

Everyone went back to school today. Kid-1 is in 8th grade - back at the top of the food chain. He reported that school was "boring" - how very 14 year old boy!! Kid-2 has decided she loves 7th grade way more than 6th grade. Her BFF moved up to middle school this year and had a wonderful day as well. Kid-3 is now top dog in the 5th grade with the added power of safety patrol. He had a good day and absolutely loves his teacher. Kid-4 had an alright day, although he spent some of it n the nurse's office with a bad headache. Not sure what's up with that but it passed enough that he went back to class without incident.

The bigger news is that it was MY first day back at school too. For 15 years I have been saying I want to go back to school. A couple of times it looked promising. About 11 years ago, I took a couple of classes via internet but never made it onto campus like I wanted. Today, it finally happened. I had Critical Thinking today which is logic and argument analysis. I was rather worried as I envisioned a million papers to write and classroom debates and things of that nature. I didn't take into account that this is NOT an Honors class and it IS a freshman level class. It won't be a blow off class but I am confident that I will be able to handle it without a huge amount of stress.

Tomorrow is the class I am most nervous about. At 9 am I have Honors Ethics. I had to get special permission to take the class and am aware of the extra work that will be required in it. I read the 1st half of the ethics book that dealt with the theory and background and perspectives involved in ethics. I didn't read through the 2nd half that is applied ethics. Basically it is several controversial topics with each side represented in essays. I skimmed them but haven't read them yet. Truth be told I am terrified. At the same time, I am so excited!!

Also tomorrow I have Sociology at noon. I am not hideously worried about that one but we will see how it goes. Friday I have my psych 100 class (Introduction to the Fields and Study of Psychology). Truthfully I am not looking forward to is as I read the book and the syllabus and class schedule and didn't find much of anything that I don't know. I will get to learn how to use the psychology journal articles database, though. That will be critical information for later.

I also got my 1st hospice patient for my volunteering. I will contact her tomorrow and set things up. All in all, things are shaping up nicely. I have learned so much in the past few months and really feel like I am heading in a good direction.

Wish me luck!

No comments: