Monday, February 4, 2008

More Notes on Writing

I am temporarily stalled on my novel. I picked up the new Stephen King book, "Duma Key" and not only is it very good, it has sent me back into my typical SK funk. I read some of his descriptions and look at the way he repeats the same events for effect and I am awed by him. I realize I can never come anywhere close to that and I stop writing for a while. I'll get back to it, but probably not while I'm reading the book.

On the other hand, I am currently tackling a rather difficult short story. I think I am afraid of it. It is supposed to be about a little girl going on a ride in a semi truck with her favorite uncle. Sounds simple enough, right? Except I know what the story is really about. I am well over 1500 words into the story and he hasn't even asked her if she wants to go yet. I honestly can't tell if I am dragging my feel on getting to the story because I'm frightened of it or if, like I am telling myself, I am trying to give enough backstory to make the little girl's behavior make sense. At any rate, this is going to need a chainsaw for the rewrite.

And I am still terrified of the details of the story. Unfortunately, I know how the story goes, all the pictures and the sounds and even the smells. But I don't like them and this is going to be no easy task. I may end up skipping the details. They wouldn't make for a good read anyways... right?