Saturday, November 7, 2009

When the Comment are More Fun Than the Post

So I am an example of how Americans will believe anything and a veritable case study in effective marketing. I was watching TV in a mindless fashion. (The kind where it's playing a lame kids' show and I'm not actually watching it but was too lazy/disinterested to change the channel or turn it off.) This commercial comes on for a game called "MindFlex" that claims you control the levitation of a foam ball by modifying your level of concentration. It claims to use a type of EEG reading technology then translate it into a degree of intensity which it transmits from the wireless headset to game base and changing how hard the air from the fan blows, thus changing how high or low the ball goes.

It sounded totally AWESOME but highly suspicious. True to form, I hit the internet to try to find "the truth" - a laughable aim given the realm. First I hit the site for the game itself: http://mindflexgames.com/. There is some great hype there but the FAQ say basically nothing useful. Next I hit Amazon to see the price and any user reviews. At Amazon, there was a wide range of user perspectives. Most were very favorable but one of them said they hooked it up to their fingers and it still behaved the same way.

That was a red flag for me so I kept digging. That led me to an article at gizmodo. The article itself is relatively useless with no new light shed on the toy. But the comments!! The comments had me literally LOL, to the point that the kids wanted to know what was so funny.

I highly recommend the article for geeks who want a laugh...

1 comment:

Aqua said...

Too funny!! This is very similar to a game at Vancouver's Science World that uses biofeedback to move a ball between people...it is kind of cool, but until there are more applications sounds kind of boring. Glad to see you post.
...aqua